Methi Malai Mater is a rich and flavorful Indian vegetable dish. The Methi, or Fenugreek Leaves give a wonderful aroma and unique taste to compliment the sweetness of the peas and cream. Try this delicious recipe and enjoy it with chapati, naan or plain white rice.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Fenugreek Leaves – 1 bunch
Frozen Peas – 16 oz (1/2 kg)
Heavy Whipping Cream – 1 cup (or to taste)
Evaporated Milk – 5 oz can (147 ml)
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Whole Dry Red Chilies – to taste
Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
Onion – 1/2 medium, chopped
Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
1. Wash Fenugreek Leaves well, remove roots and chop finely.
2. Sprinkle salt over Fenugreek Leave, mix well and set aside 15-20 minutes
3. Heat Oil in a medium pan on medium heat.
4. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle for 10-15 secs.
5. Add in Dry Red Chili (break the chili in half if you like it spicy).
6. Add Turmeric Powder and immediately, add in Onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add Ginger, mix and cook until Onions are a light golden color.
8. Add Tomatoes, mix and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Add Green Peas, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala, Red Chili Powder and Salt. Mix well, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Be sure to stir in between to prevent sticking.
10. Squeeze out salt water from Fenugreek Leaves and add it to the peas.
11. Cover and cook until Peas and Fenugreek Leaves are cooked (3-6 minutes).
12. Add in Heavy Whipping Cream and Evaporated Milk, mix well and bring to a boil.
13. Serve hot with Chapati, Naan or Rice.