What better way to include broccoli into Indian cuisine than this wonderful combination of Broccoli with Chickpea Flour (Besan). The spiced chickpea flour lightly coats the broccoli florets in this recipe and provides great flavor and texture. Its a perfect way to get kids to enjoy the health benefits of broccoli.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Broccoli – 8 oz, cut into bite sized florets (washed and dried)
Oil – 2 Tbsp, divided
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafotida – 1/8 tsp
Garlic – 1 Tbsp, finely chopped
Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Chickpea Flour (Besan) – 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
Dry Mango Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/4 tsp or to taste
Lime or Lemon Juice – to taste for garnishing
1. Heat 1 Tbsp Oil in a skillet on medium heat.
2. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
3. Add Asafoetida, Garlic and Green Chilies. Stir for 15 seconds.
4. Add Broccoli and mix well. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Lightly salt the broccoli and continue to cook covered for another 2-3 minutes
5. In a separate bowl, combine Chickpea Flour, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Dry Mango Powder, Garam Masala, Salt, Coriander Powder and Red Chili Powder.
6. Add 1 Tbsp Oil and incorporate it well into the flour.
7. Uncover the broccoli and sprinkle the Chickpea Flour mixture evenly over all of the florets. DO NOT MIX.
8. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Uncover the broccoli and sprinkle a little water (just enough to moisten the chickpea flour lightly). Mix, cover and cook for another 3 minutes.
10. Garnish with Lime/Lemon Juice and serve hot with chapati or rice and daal.