Got a lot of left-over rice that you don’t know what to do with? Make Yogurt Rice!! It’s simple and satisfying. Eat Yogurt Rice (Dahi Bhaat) with a little mango pickle – it’s yummy!
Scroll to the bottom for video
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Rice – 3 cups, cooked and lightly mashed
Yogurt / Curd / Dahi – 2 cups, beaten
Salt – to taste
Oil – 3 tsp
Rai (Mustard Seeds) – ½ tsp
Whole Red Chili – 1
Hing /Asafoetida – pinch
Chana Dal – 1 tsp
Urad Daal – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Green Chilies – 1 or 2 to taste, finely chopped
Ginger – ½ tsp, grated
Cilantro – 2 sprigs, chopped
1. Heat leftover Rice in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add Yogurt and Salt and mix well.
3. Heat Oil in a small pan.
4. Add Rai and allow it to sputter.
5. Add Whole Red Chili and Hing.
6. Add Chana Dal and Urad Daal and cook until the Daals turn light brown.
7. Add Curry Leaves, Green Chilies and Ginger – mix well and cook for 1 minute.
8. Add the above mixture to the Rice and Yogurt – mix well.
9. Garnish with chopped Cilantro leaves.
1. If the Rice and Yogurt mixture is looking a little dry, add a little Milk to thin it down. The Milk also helps to cut the tartness of the Yogurt.
2. For a variation, mix in some Pomegranate Seeds. They add a lot of color and sweetness to the dish.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media: