Whether you are a newly converted vegetarian or born vegetarian looking for a great source for protein, Seitan (Say-tan) provides yet another option to your meal planning. Made from Vital Wheat Gluten, this completely vegetarian item has the texture, and depending on the flavoring, the taste of meat. Try this versatile Seitan recipe for curries, stir-frys, grilling…the options are endless.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 2 portions serving 4 to 6
Water – 8 cups
Onion – 1 medium, chopped into big pieces
Garlic – 4 cloves, roughly smashed
Ginger – 1 inch, chopped
Carrots – 4 medium, chopped into big pieces
Celery – 4 stalks, chopped into big pieces
Cilantro – handful, chopped
Tandoori Masala – 2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Soy Sauce – 2 Tbsp
Tamarind Pulp – 1 Tbsp
Vital Wheat Gluten – 2 cups
Garlic Powder – 1/2 tsp
Paprika – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Tandoori Masala – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Sesame Oil – 1 tsp (any type of oil can be substituted)
Cold Water – 1 3/4 cups
1. In a large pot, add all ingredients for the Broth.
2. Cover and cook on high heat until broth comes to a rolling boil.
3. Uncover and continue to cook on medium heat while working on the Seitan.
4. In a mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients for the Seitan EXCEPT Oil and Water. Mix well.
5. Add Oil and mix through the flour.
6. Add all of the Water at once and mix to form a spongy dough.
7. Once all the Water is absorbed, continue to knead for 1 minute.
8. Form the dough into a square or rectangular shape and allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
9. Bring the Broth to a boil once again.
10. Cut Seitan to desired shape (small pieces for curries or stir-frys, long strips or fillets for grilling, etc).
11. As you cut, drop the pieces into the boiling broth.
12. Once all of the pieces are in the pot, mix well, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Do not uncover or stir in between.
13. Remove the Seitan pieces and keep aside to use as needed.
14. Strain the broth. Reserve the liquid for use in curries and discard the vegetables.
15. Seitan can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 week or frozen for later use.