Sabudana Khichdi is a popular dish from Maharastra, India. Made from tapioca (sago), this sabudana khichdi recipe is a wonderful blend of flavors — sweet, tangy, spicy, balanced to perfection. It makes a mouth watering brunch or lunch item and is often enjoyed during times of fasting.
Soaking Time: Minimum 2 hrs up to 8 hrs.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Tiime: 15 minutes
Sabudana (Tapioca/Sago) – 2 cups, (washed and drained)
Water – 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
Lime Juice – 3 to 4 Tbsp (to taste)
Sugar – 2 to 3 tsp (to taste)
Powdered Roasted Peanuts – 1 cup or to taste
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Ghee – 1 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies – to taste, finely chopped
Whole Peanuts – 2 Tbsp
Potato – 1 med, peeled and chopped in thin pieces.
Shredded Coconut – 1/3 – 1/2 cup
Cilantro Leaves – 10 sprigs (leaves only)
1. Wash, drain and soak Sabudana in 1/2 cup of water (covered) for minimum 2 hrs or up to 8 hrs. Toss with a spoon occasionally.
2. Mix Salt, Sugar, Lime Juice and Powdered Peanuts into the soaked sabudana.
3. Heat Oil and Ghee in a medium non-stick pan.
4. Add Cumin Seeds and let them splutter.
5. Add chopped Green Chilies and Whole Peanuts. Cook for 1 minute.
6. Add chopped Potatoes and Salt. Cook uncovered until potatoes are tender.
7. Add sabudana mixture to the potatoes and mix well.
8. Set stove to low, cover and cook for 1-2 minutes. Check and adjust Salt, Lime Juice and Sugar.
9. Add Shredded Coconut and chopped Cilantro Leaves and mix.
10. Keep stirring every 1-2 minutes and re-covering the pan. Sprinkle a little water if the sabudana look like they are drying out.
10. Total cooking time will be approx 8-10 minutes.
11. Serve hot.