If you are looking to make a hearty, healthy meal, look no further. Try this easy Mexican Lasagna recipe with the layering concept of traditional Italian lasagna but with a Mexican twist on the ingredients.
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Red Bell Pepper – 1 large, sliced into bite size pieces
Green Bell Pepper – 1 large, sliced into bite size pieces
Onion – 1 large, sliced
Taco Seasoning – 1 Tbsp or to taste
Salt – to taste
Corn Tortillas – approx 12, cut in half
Prepared Refried Beans – 1 can (click here for recipe)
Black Beans – 1 can, drained and rinsed
Cheese – as much as you like (Colby/Jack or Cheddar are good options)
Black Olives – optional
Jalapenos – optional
Spray Cooking Oil
Preheat Oven 375F/190C
1. Heat Oil in a skillet and add Bell Peppers and Onions. Mix well.
2. Add Taco Seasoning and saute on high heat until lightly caramelized on top but still crunchy.
3. Add Salt, mix well and remove from pan into another plate to stop further cooking. Keep aside.
4. Lightly coat an oven safe casserole dish (approx 9in x 5in) with spray cooking oil.
5. Place few Corn Tortillas on the bottom of casserole dish to completely cover (overlap if necessary).
6. Lightly spray cooking oil over the tortillas.
7. Spread 1/3 of Refried Beans over tortillas.
8. Spread 1/3 of Veggie mixture over beans.
9. Spread 1/3 of Black Beans over veggies. (Reserve a few tablespoons of black beans for garnishing)
10. Sprinkle as much cheese as desired over the beans.
11. Arrange a second layer of tortillas and follow all above steps.
12. Arrange a third layer of tortillas and follow all above steps.
13. End with a final layer of tortillas, sprinkle cheese over the top and garnish with a few black beans, black olives, jalapenos, etc.
14. Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes at 375F/190C. Remove foil and broil for 3-5 minutes to lightly brown cheese.
15. Allow Mexican Lasagna to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
16. Serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream, salsa, etc.
0 thoughts on “Mexican Lasagna”
Thanks, so much Hetal & Anuja!
Wonderful recipe. So glad to have it. Husband loved it & so did I. Enjoyed your presentation, too.
I AM SO impressed to give thumbs because i have tasted it . it is very groase
I already made it. It is really good recipe . Feel little dry. Can U please tell me which tortillas did u use. Was yellow corn or white corn tortillas. And which Jalapenos do you use? Was pickle jalapeno or regular jalapenos ?
Maybe you can try to layer in some salsa in the layers for added moisture. We usually get the white corn tortillas.
Thank u very much Hetal for ur reply. Which jalapeÃ±o do u use on this. Was Pickled jalapeÃ±o or regular on top?
Also , let me tell u that u guys are doing really great job. I made couple of ur recipe and all were so good.
We use what we have on hand. Either fresh or pickled will work.
i added red sauce to this. turned out great!
Great article about Mexican lasagna. Where did you get those news from? Have a good one, Jessica Beike!
Can you make this dish ahead of time and bake when you need it?
Super like this recipe…. I am making again today on demand by hubby :))….. Thank you
This dish was delicious and a great change to my vegetarian menu! Please show some middle eastern recipes, like falafel sandwiches.
VEGETARIANS please note most commercial cheese is NOT VEGETARIAN it is made with Enzimes/Rennet (Slaughtered Cow Ingredient)
Look for 100% Vegetarian cheese made with Microbial Enzimes that are vegetarian…(Wholefoods brand, Verizon and many others)
I know most people dont care but thought i educate 🙂
Thanks!! That is informative
I made this recipe and it was quick, easy, and delicious. I used whole wheat tortillas for the recipe. Thank you and keep up the good work!
I tried the recipe it was great but a bit dry, any ideas?
You could try layering some salsa in for added moisture.
Hi Hetal and Anujs
Can this dish be layered and kept in the fridge and baked the next day. Will this make the tortillas become soggy.
Yes, even I had the same question…
If you coat the tortillas with a little more oil, it should prevent them from soaking too much moisture. Corn tortillas will be better than flour ones.
Loved the dish….. A hit with my family !,
Hi Hetal & Anuja,
Which brand of knife (that u have used in this recipe,the big steel one) u have.pls reply.thanks
Its an Ultrex.
I baked it at 375 – it came out great. i missed in the video where they say the temp as well. I also added some Yves Veggie Ground Round, a ground beef substitute, sautÃ©ed with taco seasoning. It was a fine addition.
As a native Texan, it is hilarious to me that I am relying on a predominantly Indian cooking website for my best Tex Mex recipes. Thanks H/A, again.
Yves Veggie ground round is the best! We have it here in Canada too. I use it for spaghetti and chili too. I also love their veggie dogs, veggie burgers, veggie nuggets, and Bavarian veggie sausage. So yummy and healthy too.
Yum, thanks for this. Can we use lasagna noodles instead of the tortillas? This was a fantastic recipe, I am going right now to my grocery store to pick up the ingredients 🙂
You both clearly work out a lot, otherwise how could one eat so much cheese and still look fit 🙂
Yes, you can use lasagna noodles. You’d have to called it a Mexican/Italian lasagna then :).
awesome!!!!! Thanks for sharing
mouth watering! I can’t wait to make it, thanks girls. BTW the fast forward part is very cute 🙂
Another really good one. Yes what temp did you bake it at. Also what is the amount of cheese you have while showing the recipe? That will give me a good idea of how much to start with?
Thank you so much!!!
We really did not measure it…just sprinkle a good layer on :). You could probably start with about 2 cups.
Hi Hetal and Anuja!
I made this, because today I had my friends coming over, and two of them were Hispanic;And we all loved it! It was just simply ah-mazing, and I made it with chicken; i grilled it on a panini maker 😉 Haha. Anyways, one question; One day I visited your website and it said “Closing on the 30th” Is that true?
That was an April fools joke
i love this receipe, mouth watering!!!!!
Love you Hatel and Anuja
Hello Hetal and Anuja!
At what temp. do you bake the lasgna? Please let me know.
You have to bake it at 350Â°F. They said it in the video.