Kadle Manoli or Kala Chana and Tindora curry is a very popular Mangalorean recipe. The different textures of the chana and tindora or tendli, along with the fragrant aroma and complex flavors of the fresh roasted spices and coconut make this curry a family favorite. Enjoy it with plain white rice or with chapati or roti.
Scroll down for detailed recipe video.
Prep Time: 4-6 hrs soaking time
Cook Time: 1.5 hrs (1 hr inactive, 30 mins active)
Dry Kala Chana (Black Chickpeas) – 1 cup, soaked 4 to 6 hours or overnight and drained
Water – 3 cups
Salt – 1 tsp plus more to taste
Fenugreek Seeds (Methi) – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Seeds (Dhaniya) – 3 Tbsp
Dry Shredded Coconut – 3/4 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp or to taste
Oil – 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp
Onion – 1/2 cup, finely sliced
Dry Red Chilies – 2 to 3
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/8 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Tindora – 1 lb, cut into thirds
Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
1. In a pressure cooker, add soaked and drained Kala Chana, 3 cups water and 1 tsp Salt. Cook on medium heat until 1 whistle sounds, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for 45 minutes. Turn the stove off and allow the pressure to release naturally before opening the cooker.
2. While the Kala Chana are cooking, dry roast Fenugreek Seeds and Coriander Seeds individually in a heavy bottom skillet and keep aside. Dry roast Coconut on low heat until golden light brown. Turn off stove and add Turmeric Powder and Red Chili Powder. Mix well and keep aside.
3. In the same skillet, heat 2 tsp Oil and add sliced Onion. Cook till golden brown.
4. In a blender, grind all the roasted ingredients into a smooth paste, adding a little water if needed to grind.
5. Heat 1 Tbsp Oil in a medium sized pan on medium heat.
6. Add Dry Red Chilies and allow them to brown lightly.
7. Add Asafoetida, Curry Leaves, Tindora and Salt and mix well.
8. Cover and cook till Tindora are 3/4 way tender, stirring in between.
9. Add ground masala paste and mix well.
10. Add cooked Kala Chana along with the cooking water to the pan and mix well. Cook for 4-5 minutes to incorporate all flavors.
11. Add chopped Tomato, mix well and turn off stove.
12. Serve with Rice or Roti/Chapati.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make kadle manoli, mangalore recipes, how to cook tindora, are black chickpeas and garbanzo the same, Indian vegetarian vegan protein options.