Sometimes it is very hard to replicate the texture of eggs but here is our version of Eggless French Toast that just can’t be beat! Try the sweet version for the sweet tooth or the savory one when you are just in the mood for something a little “not so sweet” 🙂 Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Makes – approx. 5 slices
For the Batter:
Besan/ Chickpea flour – 1/2 cup
Rice Flour – 1 tbsp
Baking Soda – 1/8 tsp
Fine Sooji/ Semolina – 2 tbsp
Yogurt – 2 tbsp
Water – 1/2 cup
For Sweet Version:
Sugar -1 tbsp or to taste
Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
For Savory Version:
Salt – to taste
Roasted Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/4 tsp
Black Pepper Powder – to taste
Green Chillies – to taste, finely chopped
Cilantro – to taste, finely chopped
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Oil – for cooking
Bread – 5 slices, cut
1. Sift the Chickpea Flour with Baking Soda and the Rice Flour.
2. Add Sooji, Yogurt and Water and mix.
3. Mix in the ingredients for either the Sweet Version or the Savory Version.
4. Heat a griddle or a skillet and drizzle a little Oil.
5. Cut Bread Slices and dip in the batter (on both sides).
6. Place on the hot griddle and cook for a couple of minutes.
7. Drizzle a little Oil on the top-side and flip the toast.
8. Allow the Toast to cook on the under-side for a few minutes.
9. Once done, remove and serve hot off the stove.
10. For Sweet Version – serve with powdered sugar or maple syrup.
11. For Savory Version – serve with ketchup or chutney.