Being healthy and staying healthy should never be a hard thing to do. Eat right and exercise – simple! This recipe for Cereal Chivda will take care of your munching needs without all the unnecessary calories and fat from fried snacks.
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time:10 min
Corn Flakes – 1 cup
Plain Cheerios – 1 cup
Rice Puffs – 1 cup
Wheat Chex – 1 cup
Honey Nut Cheerios – 1/2 cup
Canola Oil – 1 tbsp
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Carom Seeds (Ajwain) – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Raw Peanuts – 1/3 cup
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Citric Acid – 1/8 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
1. Combine all Cereals in a bowl and mix well.
2. Combine Salt and Citric Acid and grind to a fine powder in a mortar and pestle.
3. In a large pan, heat Oil on medium heat.
4. Once Oil is hot, add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
5. Add Asafoetida and Carom Seeds and cook for 15 seconds.
6. Add Curry Leaves and cook for 30 seconds allowing the leaves to become crisp.
7. Add Peanuts and sauté them until they are lightly golden.
8. Once Peanuts are done, pull them aside in the pan and add the Salt & Critic Acid mixture and Red Chili Powder (optional) into the Oil.
9. Quickly mix the spices and turn off the stove.
10. Working fast, add Cereal and toss until everything is mixed well (3-4 minutes).
11. Transfer the Chivda to another bowl and allow it to cool to room temperature.
12. Store at room temperature in an air-tight container or a zipper bag.