Disclaimer: Mangala Deshmukh is NOT a licensed Dietician/ Nutritionist.
The information on this website is provided for educational and entertainment purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, cure or treat any medical or other condition. Always seek the advice of your health provider prior to starting any diet.
Many people with gluten intolerance or suffering from Celiac disease miss out on halwa (sheera), a delicious Indian dessert commonly made with sooji or cream of wheat. There is no need to miss out any longer with this easy to follow gluten free halwa recipe.
Cook Time: 15min
Cream of Rice Cereal – 1 cup (found in the cereal aisle)
Ghee/Clarified Butter – 1/4th cup
Water – 3 cups
Jaggery/Gud – 3/4 cup, grated
Salt – pinch
Elaichi (Cardamom) Powder – 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg Powder – 1/4 tsp, optional
Saffron – pinch, optional
Chopped dates or golden raisins – optional
1. In a pan heat Cream of Rice and Ghee on medium heat till there is a slight color change and a distinct aroma.
2. Transfer into a separate bowl and keep aside.
3. In the same pan, heat Water and add Jaggery to it.
4. Allow it to come to a boil.
5. Add Roasted Cream of Rice slowly. and keep stirring.
5. Lower heat and add Cardamom Power or Nutmeg Powder.
6. Cover and allow it to cook for 2 minutes or till the water has been absorbed.
7. Remove the lid, stir, turn off the flame and add Saffron if desired.
8. Cover again and allow the Halwa to rest for 5 minutes and it’s ready to serve.
For Dairy-Free Version:
1. Use Oil or Dairy-Free Margarine instead of Ghee/Clarified Butter.